Monday, March 11, 2013

Organization of Life Foldable

So I've been getting a lot of emails lately, asking for the template used in the projects shown in my Student Project Display post. Unfortunately, I can't share a template because I didn't use a template. My students were just THAT amazing! I can, however, share a tutorial on how the project was done. I will be posting tutorials all this week...

For the Organization of Life Foldable

1. On an 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper held vertically (any color or kind you want), make lines across at the following measurements: 1/2", 1 3/4", 3 1/2", 5 3/4", and 8". The spaces between each line will get larger and larger as you move down the page, just like the levels of organization in living things get larger and larger!

2. Fold the paper in half lengthwise (or vertically... or hot dog). Open it back up.
3. Cut from the left side of the paper along each line to the center point only. (Do NOT cut all the way across the page! Although, I guarantee you'll have at least one student that does this!) The left side of your paper now has flaps or tabs.
4. Refold the paper in half lengthwise (along your fold from step 2). And on the front, so the fold is on the left and the tabs open on the right, label each individual tab with the following: Organization of Life, Cells, Tissues, Organs, Organ Systems, Organism. Color, decorate, etc.


5. Open each tab of your foldable. On the left side (the back side of the tab) create a drawing to represent that level of organization. On the right side (the side that was not cut) define/describe each level and include at least one example. Color, decorate, etc.


And viola! Organization of Life Foldable!

P.S. If your students have poor measuring skills (like mine!) or you only have so much time to spend on this project (like me!), you can always create a template with step 1 above and make photocopies so that students can begin at step 2. It'll save some time.

Happy Crafting!

5 comments:

  1. I'm a first year teacher and I can't wait to use this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a rubric for this activity?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing! I plan on doing this today with my advanced group as part of their interactive notebook!

    ReplyDelete